Ontario awards first tenders for critical Highway 413 work
The project is expected to support 6,000 jobs per year.

Key Takeaways:
- The Vaughan Chamber of Commerce called the project “critical to supporting the movement of goods and unlocking future economic opportunities,” while the Ontario Road Builders’ Association said investments like Highway 413 are needed to reverse the mounting cost of congestion.
- The Ontario Stone, Sand and Gravel Association and the Residential and Civil Construction Alliance of Ontario said the highway would support demand for building materials and skilled trades jobs.
- Highway 413 is one of several large projects the province is pursuing as part of a $30-billion, decade-long investment in highways, bridges and roads, which also includes the Bradford Bypass and the twinning of the Garden City Skyway.
The Whole Story:
The Ontario government has awarded the first two construction contracts for Highway 413, a major step in the province’s plan to build a new expressway across the northwestern Greater Toronto Area.
One contract was awarded to Fermar Paving for an embankment at the Highway 401 and Highway 407 interchange. The second one went to Pave-Al to resurface Highway 10 in Caledon, Ont.
Premier Doug Ford announced the contracts Tuesday in Caledon, where crews are beginning to resurface Highway 10 in preparation for a new bridge over the planned route. Work will also begin at the Highway 401/407 interchange, which will serve as the highway’s western terminus.
The 60-kilometre highway is slated to run from the 401/407 near Mississauga, Milton and Halton Hills to Highway 400 in Vaughan, with connections to Highways 410 and 427. The province says the route will save drivers up to 30 minutes per trip, support more than 6,000 jobs annually and add $1 billion a year to Ontario’s GDP during construction.
“Highway 413 is at the centre of our plan to get drivers in the GTA and across Ontario out of gridlock, and we’re getting it done,” Ford said. “In the face of U.S. tariffs and economic uncertainty, we’re awarding critical construction contracts faster so we can keep Ontario’s economy going and keep thousands of workers on the job.”
Transportation Minister Prabmeet Sarkaria said congestion costs Ontario up to $56 billion a year and Highway 413 will bring relief to one of the most heavily used corridors in North America.
The project has been strongly backed by several municipal leaders. Brampton Mayor Patrick Brown said the highway will “create good quality jobs, attract new investment and ensure people and goods move more efficiently.” Caledon Mayor Annette Groves said the route will ease traffic pressure on local roads and heavy-truck traffic through her community.
Business groups also welcomed the announcement. The Vaughan Chamber of Commerce called the project “critical to supporting the movement of goods and unlocking future economic opportunities,” while the Ontario Road Builders’ Association said investments like Highway 413 are needed to reverse the mounting cost of congestion.
The Ontario Stone, Sand and Gravel Association and the Residential and Civil Construction Alliance of Ontario said the highway would support demand for building materials and skilled trades jobs.
Highway 413 is one of several large projects the province is pursuing as part of a $30-billion, decade-long investment in highways, bridges and roads, which also includes the Bradford Bypass and the twinning of the Garden City Skyway.
The government passed legislation last year aimed at expediting Highway 413 construction. According to a report by the Canadian Centre for Economic Analysis, the annual cost of gridlock in Ontario could reach $108 billion by 2044 if left unchecked.
The project has faced opposition from environmental groups and urban planners, who warn it could damage farmland and sensitive ecosystems while encouraging suburban sprawl. The province says those concerns are being addressed through its planning process.