Drone offers bird’s-eye view of Broadway Subway route
Spread your wings and see the project as the crow flies.
Take a good look at this 5.7 km route in Vancouver. It’s about to completely transform.
A drone flew the The Broadway Subway Project alignment, offering a sweeping overview of what’s to come.
The Broadway Subway Project, led by joint venture between ACCIONA and Ghella, will extend the Millennium Line from VCC-Clark Station to the future Broadway and Arbutus station, providing SkyTrain service along the Broadway corridor, home to B.C.’s second-largest jobs centre, world-class health-care services, an emerging innovation and research hub, and growing residential communities.
The project team recently launched the second of two state-of-the-art Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) November 29. Named Phyllis, after B.C. mountaineer Phyllis Munday, she will join Elsie, the first TBM, which was launched on Oct. 7 and is now well on her way to her first breakthrough at Mount Pleasant Station.
Each TBM will take about one year to carve out two five-kilometre-long tunnels before being dismantled and removed at Cypress Street near the future Arbutus Station. After tunneling is complete, work can begin on building tracks within the tunnels and finishing the six new stations along the route. Once in service, the Broadway Subway Project will create a seamless extension of the existing Millennium Line from VCC-Clark to Arbutus Street.
Planned construction activities for the next three months include:
- About three quarters of the 21 columns on the elevated guideway between VCC-Clark Station and the future Great Northern Way-Emily Carr station are complete. Construction continuing on remaining columns.
- Both TBMs, Phyllis and Elsie have been launched. Continuing to remove excavated material from both tunnels and installing remaining trailing gear on Phyllis at Great Northern Way-Emily Carr Station.
- Completing the concrete base slab for the future Mount Pleasant Station.
- Excavating the Broadway-City Hall, Oak-VGH, South Granville and Arbutus stations.
- Completing the traffic decks for the Broadway-City Hall and Arbutus stations.
- Finishing the relocation of major utilities at the Broadway-City Hall and Arbutus work sites.